Centre Region Council of Government
If "Apply Now" button is not functioning properly, please email resume and cover letter to:
The Centre Region Council of Governments (COG) seeks a strategic and collaborative leader for its next Finance Director. The Centre Region COG is a voluntary association, established in 1969, of the State College Borough and The Townships of College, Ferguson, Halfmoon, Harris and Patton. The COG’s service area is approximately 150 square miles with a population of 94,900 which includes 45,000 University Students.
The COG provides Fire Protection, Emergency Management, Code Administration, Parks and Recreation, Library, Planning and Refuse and Recycling services for the region. The COG has a budget of approximately $24 million and 96 full-time and 40 part-time staff and over 185 season and/or contract staff.
The Centre Region offers abundant all-season recreational activities, historic communities, and the advantages of a progressive metropolitan community yet with the amenities and charm of a small community. The region is home to the Pennsylvania State University and is one of the most rapidly growing regions in the Commonwealth. The region offers a blend of urban, suburban, and rural characters with the vibrancy of the university amenities, including the arts, sporting events and a highly engaged and diverse community. Residents enjoy first class dining, shopping and entertainment, along with outstanding medical care and K-12 education.
The COG Finance Director is responsible for all aspects of the financial operations of the Centre Region COG and its agencies. The Director manages and oversees the daily operations of the accounting team comprised of two full-time staff. This working manager is responsible for monitoring and analyzing accounting data, producing financial reports, directing and delegating work, as well as taking the lead role in establishing financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems, and ensuring legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions. In addition, the Finance Director is responsible for leading the annual budget process and preparation of the COG Budget. The Finance Director reports to the Executive Director of the COG and is a part of the organization’s senior leadership team.
Opportunities for the next Finance Director include:
• A review and assessment of the COG’s current accounting and payroll systems.
• Planning for long-term capital needs and providing fiscal guidance for the diverse COG operations (fire and hazmat operations, a library, a nature center, three regional parks, and maintenance facilities) and projects, including two significant capital investment projects currently underway, the Millbrook Marsh Spring Creek Education Building Phase II and the Whitehall Road Regional Park.
• Continuing to develop and enhance the organization’s financial policies and procedures.
• Building strong partnerships with the member municipalities, their leadership and the COG’s Finance Committee.
• Assisting the leadership team of the organization to identify new revenue opportunities.
The next Director will be a diplomatic, tactful, and approachable leader who also can be strategic and adaptable. The successful candidate will be a facilitative and solution oriented individual and will have:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university, with major coursework in accounting, business administration, finance or related field.
• At least five years of relevant professional accounting experience, of which a minimum of three years should be in governmental accounting, local government experience is preferred.
• A CPA or other related professional accreditation is preferred.
• Experience in capital budgeting required.
• Experience in budget development and administration required.
• Previous management and/or supervision experience is a plus.
Apply online at www.govhrusa.com with a resume, cover letter and contact for five professional references. Candidates should apply at once and the position will remain open until filled. Confidential inquiries are encouraged and should be directed to Charlene Stevens, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA at 224-326-2482 X 124.
The Centre Region Council of Governments embraces diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Compensation and Benefits:
The current salary range is $92,140 to $124,390 DOQ. The actual salary will be determined by the selected candidate’s qualifications and commensurate experience. The Centre Region COG offers provides an excellent benefit package, including health, dental, vision, defined benefit pension plan and a voluntary retirement plan.