Centre County Housing Authority
If "Apply Now" button is not functioning properly, please email resume and cover letter to:
Position Title: Housing Inspector (Full-time, Monday to Friday)
Reports To: Program Coordinators and Property Managers
Job Summary: Inspects privately-owned dwellings leased, or intended for leasing, under the Centre County Housing Authority Rental Assistance Programs for compliance with applicable Housing Authority, Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and Federal, State, and local building codes for property maintenance standards.
1. Schedules and performs regular and special inspections to insure the electrical, plumbing, heating and ventilating systems, and normal housing accommodations are structurally and functionally operative, and maintained in a customary, safe and sanitary condition according to local codes and Housing Quality Standards.
2. Evaluates dwellings prior to, during and after occupancy to determine the presence of any current or impending structural damage, utility system malfunctions, substandard, hazardous or unsanitary housing conditions and verifies utility shut offs. Identifies and initiates abatement of lead paint hazards.
3. Responds to inspections directed by Authority personnel which may be in response to complaints from landlords, tenants and other appropriate parties. Prepares and submits inspections reports to identify the nature and scope of the conditions found, the action needed to resolve unsatisfactory conditions, and, if appropriate, the party responsible for the condition, or for correcting it.
4. Confers with Authority management, tenants, landlords, and local code inspectors to complete the inspection process, to follow-up on maintenance and housekeeping requirements, and to ensure housing standards are met.
5. Photographs damages and unsanitary conditions when applicable.
6. Completes necessary paperwork and maintains related records, reports, and files.
7. Keeps abreast of changes in property maintenance codes and HUD housing standards.
8. Performs light maintenance, cleaning tasks, inter-office mail, and additional duties as requested.
Required Skills, Qualifications, Education, Experience:
• Must possess a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license and be insurable under the Authority’s policy.
• Must satisfactorily complete six (6) months introductory period to receive permanent status.
• Ability to read, write, and communicate effectively.
• Must be able to climb stairs, bend and stoop to enter and leave places where access is difficult. Must be discerning, courteous, tactful.
• Ability to operate standard office equipment including personal computer, copies, scanner, postage machine, and office printer. Must have basic proficiency in MS Office software and internet access and usage.
• Must possess some knowledge of the construction industry and building requirements.
• Must possess high school diploma or equivalent (GED)
• 401(k) matching up to 5%
• Health insurance
• Dental insurance
• Vision insurance
• Paid time off after 6-months.
• $17.00 per hour