Centre County United Way
Pine Grove Mills
Special Events Coordinator
If "Apply Now" button is not functioning properly, please email resume and cover letter to:
Leanne Lenz / firstname.lastname@example.org
Work part-time to solicit and manage volunteers for CCUW Special Events to include but not be limited to Trash to Treasure, Day of Caring, Taste of the Town, and Raising Readers Book Drive. Some events focus is fundraising for the organization while others are program focused.
Trash to Treasure (T2T):
Event typically scheduled for first weekend in June. This schedule may vary based on availability of facility space and Penn State scheduling.
Work with Penn State advisory committee to plan all aspects of June Trash to Treasure sale. Assist with coordination of site location, logistics of sorting and pricing. Work with representatives of advisory committee to recruit and manage volunteers for sorting donations and staffing the event. Manage volunteers, equipment and collection of donations day of the event. This event moves over 35 tons of merchandise and involves over 100 volunteers. Marketing for the event is facilitated by CCUW's Communication Coordinator. Note: this event requires some evening availability for coordination/management of sorting volunteers.
Day of Caring (DOC):
Event held first Thursday of October
Solicit projects from County non-profit organizations. Manage and coordinate review of projects including volunteer effort and materials needed to complete projects. Recruit and match volunteer teams, including team managers, to fulfill specs of each project. Order volunteer t-shirts, contract for and coordinate kick-off breakfast, manage CCUW staff schedules for visiting each site, and manage all logistics involved with the event.
Taste of the Town (ToT):
Event is scheduled at the pleasure of The Penn Stater but always on a Sunday in November or December.
Recruit and manage a volunteer committee which is responsible for planning, solicitation of vendors, advertising, marketing, selling tickets, and staffing the event. This event is CCUW’s premier fundraiser and should be managed as such. We strive for a sold out event (approximately 420 guests), strong in-kind and financial sponsors, and quality in-kind donations for our silent and live auctions. Work with staff to determine messaging and/or additional activities during the event itself.
Raising Readers Book Drive:
Solicit drop-off sites for the Raising Readers program, develop fun, engaging activities to market the program, manage the book collection process, and supervise volunteers as they sort and label donated books.
Other Special Events:
Work with Centre County United Way staff to coordinate other special events related to CCUW campaign and outreach including, but not limited to, Pacesetter Kick-Off, Campaign Kick-Off and Campaign Celebration.
These job accountabilities are to the main emphasis of the Executive Director. As with every other job in the United Way, it is not possible to define jobs precisely. Should the need exist, every person in the organization will assist in any way necessary to assure an efficient and cooperative environment.
• April: 5 hours per week
• May through mid-June: 40 hours per week
• June through August: 5 hours per week
• September through mid-December: 35 hours per week
• December through February: 5 hours per week
• March: 20 hours per week
• Total Approximate hours: +/- 1100
Schedule is subject to change
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
1. 3-5 years of event management experience, preferably in a leadership role.
2. Duties require professional, emotionally intelligent verbal and written communication skills.
3. Excellent reading and writing skills required as your efforts will reflect the Centre County United Way.
4. At least 3 years of experience managing large volunteer-based events.
5. Ability to lift at least 50 pounds, stand for long periods of time and walk for long distances.
6. Proven ability to work with volunteers in a positive managerial environment, recruit and train volunteers, adept at multi-tasking and management of complex lists and logistics.
7. Proven experience working with Microsoft Office Suite including ability to work with and manipulate tables, multilevel lists, PowerPoint, Publisher and Excel files.
STARTING WAGE RANGE: $15 to $25 per hour with SEP IRA contribution from Centre County United Way.